A model offered by Seiko for 50 years. This is a long-lasting watch, proven time and again. Equally good at sea and on land.
- Great value for the money.
- Good illumination system.
- Durable stainless steel case.
- Reliable unidirectional bezel.
- Some customers reported problems on the bezel not being properly aligned with the hour marks. Accuracy is not its strong point.
Similar Models on Amazon:
One of the top notch dive watches from Seiko, the SKX173 is a somewhat affordable masterpiece coming with great build / looks along with the features that would satisfy both amateur and professional divers.
From the start, you should know that an automatic watch is not going to be as precise as a quartz watch since the mainspring is wound automatically by the movement of your arm. The movement mechanism on the SKX173 is a 21 jewel automatic type that beats 21600 vibrations per hour, so at the heart of an automatic watch like the Seiko SKX173 stays a mechanical system as opposed to the quartz watches which work based on the quartz crystal. This is going to create an imprecision of roughly 3 to a maximum of 10 seconds which can be shortened by winding your hand more frequently or keeping it in an automatic watch winder tool whenever you do not wear it, but generally speaking if you’re a person which likes to set their watch by the second, you probably won’t get along with the Seiko.
The design is bold and good looking with a high contrast between the black bezel / background and the stainless steel case; the strap which comes in the box is held in place by heavy duty spring pins and is made of a synthetic pressure vented polyurethane that feels good on the hand and has a buckle closure mechanism with a single pin and multiple tightening levels. I think that the band is good enough for most situations but if you want something a little fancier you can find lots of different straps for the Seiko SKX173 on the internet. Although I am not a fan of the square shaped markers, they still have great Lumibrite illumination which nearly everyone agrees to be one of the best on the market in this price range.
Other than that, the Hardlex Mineral Crystal is particularly highly shock resistant and less scratch resistant. Generally speaking, when you would like both of them you should aim for a more expensive and thicker sapphire crystal. The size of the SKX173 is right on the spot and is what I consider perfect for a dive watch. It is neither too small nor too big. Also, the screw down crown is carefully crafted in order to be easy to operate and not open when it is not intended to.
Apart from the accuracy (which is not a defect), this watch features few to no notable flaws. Some people reported that the bezel is not perfectly aligned with the markings, but that is not something I see a lot of complaints about or something that I noticed myself.
Finally, the Seiko SKX173 is a watch that can take you to the old age. It is incredibly well crafted with quality in mind, in order to create the best dive watch in this price range. And Seiko proved over time that they really do make the best watches when it comes to value for the money, customer contempt, and durability; the Seiko SKX173 is yet another proof of that.
- Automatic movement mechanism
- 660 ft. / 200 m water resistance
- Impact resistant Hardlex Crystal dial window
- Bright Seiko Lumibrite index hands and hour indicators
- Unidirectional (only one way spinning) bezel for timing when underwater
- Quality strap with buckle closure
- Case diameter of 41 mm and thickness of 14 mm
- Day and date window
SEIKO SKX173 REVIEW
This is a review of the Seiko SKX173 diver's watch.
Seiko Men's SKX173 Stainless Steel and Black Polyurethane Automatic Dive Watch
$249.00 out of stock
3 used from $231.57
- Automatic self-winding diver's watch featuring gear-edge unidirectional bezel with off-center crown
- Black dial with day/date window and luminous hands and indices
- Hardlex dial window
- Synthetic band with buckle closure
- Water resistant to 200 m (660 ft)
Seiko Divers Automatic Deep Blue Dial Mens Watch SKX009K1
$194.99 out of stock
- Automatic Collection
- Automatic Movement
- 200 Meters / 656 Feet / 20 ATM Water Resistant
- 42mm Case Diameter
- Hardlex Crystal
Seiko Men's SKX007K Diver's Automatic Watch
$216.99 out of stock
- Quality Japanese Automatic movement; Functions without a battery; Powers automatically with the movement of your arm
- Hardlex crystal
- Case diameter: 46 mm
- Stainless-steel case; Black dial; Date-and-day functions
- Water resistant to 660 feet (200 M): suitable for recreational scuba diving