The Best Survival Watch of 2021
Looking for the best survival watch shouldn’t be a hard thing to do these days when the internet is so widespread and you can find almost anything with one click, right? Well yeah, this is the case when you already know what you are looking for. When you are not sure what is the best choice, you can easily be overwhelmed by the incredible variety of watches who serve the same purpose. Should I buy a Seiko or a Casio? But hey, it seems that ProTrek and G-Shock watches are different but they are all made by Casio. What is this all about? These are questions that every internet customer stumbles upon and that is where this article comes in handy; to show you some of the best survival watches on the market based on your needs and budget.
If you want a tough survival watch that can withstand the worst treatments, or you just want a survival watch in case of a zombie apocalypse, either way, we got you covered with watches from some of the best brands on the market.
Without further ado, feel free to explore and choose from these survival watches based on your needs and budget. Of course, the aim here is to find the best survival watch for you.
- -Best Affordable Survival Watch-
- -Best Survival Watch (Overall)-
- -Best Survival Watch from Suunto-
- -Best Survival Watch from Seiko-
- -Best Survival Watch for the Money-
- -Best Survival Watch from Marathon-
- -Best Lightweight Survival Watch-
- 7. Casio ProTrek PRW6000Y Carbon Fiber
- Casio Men's G9300-1 Mudman G-Shock Shock Resistant Multi-Function Sport Watch
- Casio Men's GW-9400-1CR Master of G Stainless Steel Solar Watch
- SUUNTO Core All Black Military Men's Outdoor Sports Watch - SS014279010
- Seiko PROSPEX Marinemaster Quatz Professional Mens Watch SBBN035 (Japan Import)
- Casio Men's Pro Trek Stainless Steel Quartz Watch with Resin Strap, Black, 18 (Model: PAG240-1CR)
- Marathon Watch GSAR Swiss Made Military Issue Diver's Automatic Watch with Tritium (41mm, US Goverment) WW194006
- CASIO Men's watches PROTREK Triple Sensor Ver.3 equipped with the world six stations Solar radio PRW-6100FC-1JF
-Best Affordable Survival Watch-
What every outdoors explorer needs in their travels is a reliable, sturdy, practical looking watch and Casio delivers just that through the G-SHOCK G9300-1 MUDMAN. It has a stylish design suited for extreme environments and an excellent price for an impressive array of modern functions.
Let’s look a bit closer at the design of the watch. With a name like „Mudman” you wouldn’t expect something too fancy but at first glance, you will notice how the red from the display blends well with the dark gray of the case. The ergonomics are a strong part of this model, it feels light on the hand and it’s obvious it was manufactured to be worn for long periods of time.
One great advantage of this watch is the built-in solar battery which means you don’t need to worry about running out of charge or having to change the battery. The display shows how much solar power you have left through a cool looking indicator. As a decent navigation tool, The G-SHOCK G9300-1 MUDMAN boasts a compass, thermometer and a moon graph. Being resistant to shocks, scratches or dirt, this Casio will never let you down in more difficult conditions. Overall this watch seems worth a shot if you’re looking for a sleek action watch.
We have a broader review on the G-Shock G9300 Mudman here.
-Best Survival Watch (Overall)-
G-Shock is Casio’s tough line of watches and represents the best choice for people who work or love to adventure in more extreme environments. The GW-9400-1CR is a favorite among G-Shock fans and for good reason. It offers great value in a sleek package.
At a first impression, the design catches your eye. The watch looks big, robust and intimidating giving off a very masculine feel. The prominent buttons not only look cool but also help tremendously when operating the device. Because protection is the key word for any G-Shock, the GW-9400-1CR is waterproof (for up to 200 M) and extremely resistant to scratches, shocks and it has a hard mineral crystal window to keep the display safe.
Featuring a solar battery, atomic timekeeping, and the famous triple sensor, this watch is loaded with functionality. Being self-powered by charging from the sun is a must-have for anyone who needs to stay for long periods of time outside. Thanks to its atomic capabilities for timekeeping the watch will always be synchronized to be perfectly precise. The altimeter/barometer, thermometer, and compass are surprisingly accurate and will offer you an edge in any kind of exploration.
You won’t be disappointed with this watch. Being able to withstand all kinds of harsh conditions and providing useful tools in such an attractive design – these are sure signs that this is a great watch. The Rangeman is definitely the best survival watch at most aspects, so as an overall winner this one gets the title.
Feel free to check our full review on the G-Shock Rangeman.
-Best Survival Watch from Suunto-
3. Suunto Core
The Suunto Core is a device created to be reliable in difficult environments. Being an ABC watch it means it can deliver important information about the altitude, weather, and directions for navigating. You can’t go wrong with the beautiful craftsmanship of the Finnish from Suunto and the Core is certain to attract some looks.
It’s got that sporty feel exhibiting a jet-black display within a sleek case with a compass ring and a solid silicone strap. Despite looking a bit hard to read initially, the screen of the watch has no problem with the readability in most conditions.
The Core is not difficult to use and it presents some useful little tricks like the storm alarm which warns you of a sudden drop in air pressure. Another handy feature is the ability to adjust the declination when navigating. Overall the watch seems quite accurate, very adequate for exploring and the compass is reliable to use.
Suunto did not include a GPS system in this model but it shouldn’t be an issue with most casual hikers, skiers or snorkellers. This watch is worth the money if you’re looking for a stylish watch with cool functions ready for survival. While it is not the absolute best survival watch it surely is one of the best.
-Best Survival Watch from Seiko-
The Prospex line of watches from Seiko is dedicated to divers and feature watches marketed for Japan. Marinemaster is a fabulous watch part of this line very carefully crafted in a stainless steel case with a splendidly polished black ion finish.
The Marinemaster is one versatile device, but clearly, underwater it’s where it belongs. Perfect for an ultimate survival dive eh? Designed for depths of 300 meters and showcasing a special luminous paint called LumiBrite on the markers, this watch is perfectly adapted for diving. Hardlex, the crystal used for the window is strong enough to prevent shattering.
Looking more closely at the watch’s design you may sense the premium feel it inspires. The unidirectional bezel has a high gloss finish with numbers around the dial. The brushing on the hands of the watch is executed quite finely. All in all, the design fits well even in a more formal setting. This watch is like a piece of art and it absolutely deserves its price. Do you want one of the best survival watches for diving? Then the Seiko “Ninja Tuna” is a perfect choice.
Read our in-depth review of the Seiko Prospex SBBN035 Ninja Tuna.
-Best Survival Watch for the Money-
The Casio PAG240-1CR Pathfinder is a solar powered Triple Sensor sports watch and judging by its functionality and design it should be an instant favorite among the survivalist oriented community. For any avid outdoor enthusiast, this watch is a must-have and for this price, you can hardly find a better one.
The watch has a utilitarian look, basically nothing too fancy or out of the ordinary at first glance but this is intentional because that way it feels very masculine and most adventurers prefer usefulness over attracting attention. The PAG240-1CR comes with a duplex LCD which is very helpful when displaying multiple functions at the same time. The case of the watch is solid as expected but without adding too much weight to the watch.
One key feature of this device is the solar battery which means you just need to be outdoors in the sun to keep the battery powered. Looking through the arsenal of functions we discover that Casio makes no compromises. The triple sensor with altimeter, barometer and thermometer come to mind at first, but a world time date for 48 cities, 100 m water resistance, full auto EL backlight and a digital compass are also present. Recommended for anyone who needs a reliable companion in their survival tasks. Again, one of the best survival watches in this price range.
Read more on the ProTrek PAG240 from Casio here.
-Best Survival Watch from Marathon-
Made of extremely high-quality materials, the MARATHON WW194006 GSAR is a premium product intended for military personnel. Built according to government specifications, this watch can be used efficiently in all sorts of operations especially tactical /survival diving.
I mentioned diving mostly because of some particular capabilities of this watch. Using self-illuminating tritium gas tubes, the display can be read in any conditions without needing external charging. Given its waterproof ability for up to 300 meters, this Marathon is a handy tool for any professional diver.
Made in Switzerland, the WW194006 GSAR features the ETA 2824 Swiss automatic movement renowned for its amazing accuracy. Beautifully crafted in an immaculate 316L grade stainless steel case, with a robust protruding crown, this watch stands out suggesting a classy, expensive feel. But upon closer inspection you will realize that the weight is considerably high, the bezel is very thick and the watch looks a bit bulky on your wrist. It takes awhile to get used to this aspect but this watch is a professional tool first and foremost. All in all, MARATHON WW194006 GSAR is a great timepiece and it’s strongly recommended for people who work in military environments. Because where else do you need the best survival watch in the branch if not in the military, right?
See the in-depth review of the Marathon GSAR here.
-Best Lightweight Survival Watch-
The Casio ProTrek PRW-6000Y-1ACR is the ultimate carbon fiber survival watch you should consider buying judging by the multitude of advanced functions it possesses. Featuring a compact design, a durable build and a stylish green blend matching with a pure black, this watch is yearning to assist you in every kind of outdoor adventure.
At a glance, we can observe an analog-digital display with a powerful double LED light for extra readability in darker conditions. The watch comes from the special ProTrek class designed around more pretentious customers and so it has a sturdy construction with well-polished details. The low weight is one strong point you can notice right away thanks to the carbon fiber inserted band. Checking the display more closely you will notice an anti-reflective sapphire dial window that gives increased protection from scratches.
When correctly calibrated, the triple sensor on the PRW-6000Y-1ACR operates within good accuracy parameters, as expected of a watch in this price range. The usual functions like world time (29 cities), daily alarms, stopwatch, and the countdown timer can also be found.
Overall I’d say it’s hard to find a more attractive watch than this one, clearly, it has been intended for more refined tastes and given its reliable functions it’s an excellent watch.
More on the Casio ProTrek PRW6000Y here.
Casio Men's G9300-1 Mudman G-Shock Shock Resistant Multi-Function Sport Watch
$179.37 in stock
- Tough Solar
- Digital Compass
- Moon Graph
- Shock Resistant
Casio Men's GW-9400-1CR Master of G Stainless Steel Solar Watch
$231.95 in stock
- Solar-powered digital watch in stainless steel with multiple displays, red contrasts, and textured pushers
- Quartz movement with analog display
- Protective mineral crystal dial window
- Features digital compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, sunrise and sunset date, time stamp, Mb6 atomic timekeeping, auto LED, 5 Daily Alarms (4 one-time and 1 snooze alarm), 1/10-second stop watch, countdown timer, day/date/month calendar, and buckle closure
- Water resistant to 660 feet (200 M): suitable for recreational scuba diving
SUUNTO Core All Black Military Men's Outdoor Sports Watch - SS014279010
5 used from $92.00
- Suunto Core: This classic outdoor sports watch is packed with intelligent features like a Storm Alarm, Altimeter, Barometer and compass to keep you informed of conditions while you hike, bike, or camp
- Essential for Adventure: This watch has dual times, a date display, and alarm, plus predicted times for sunrise and sunset to help maximize your daylight hours and a depth meter accurate up to 30 feet
- Suunto Sports Watches: Versatile and durable, Suunto sports watches are great for running, swimming, cycling, gym workouts, hiking, and other outdoor sports; Whatever your needs, Suunto has a watch for you
- Adventure Starts Here: Combining Scandinavian design with ultra durable materials, our watches track your sports, daily activity, and sleep to help you keep life, training and recovery in balance
- Authentic Heritage: Founded in 1936, Suunto brings over 80 years of high quality heritage craftsmanship, relentless accuracy, and pioneering innovation to our watches, compasses, and dive products
Seiko PROSPEX Marinemaster Quatz Professional Mens Watch SBBN035 (Japan Import)
- Japan Import
- Accuracy : ±15seconds/month
- Caliber 7C46
Casio Men's Pro Trek Stainless Steel Quartz Watch with Resin Strap, Black, 18 (Model: PAG240-1CR)
$172.16 in stock
1 used from $135.59
- Black solar-powered sport watch with multiple features including digital compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, low temperature resistance (-10 C/14 F), EL backlight, world time (31 time zones, 48 cities), city code display, five daily alarms, 1/100-second stopwatch, full auto calendar (pre-programmed until 2099), countdown timer, 12/24-hour formats, battery power indicator, and power-saving function
- Approximate battery life: 6 months on full charge (without further exposure to light)
- 51-mm stainless steel case with mineral dial window
- Quartz movement with digital display
- Resin band with buckle closure; Dimensions:57.3 x 50.9 x 15.3mm
Marathon Watch GSAR Swiss Made Military Issue Diver's Automatic Watch with Tritium (41mm, US Goverment) WW194006
- MIL-SPEC: Built to Government specifications for use by military personnel. NATO Stock Number 6645-21-558-0133 engraved on case back
- TRITIUM GAS TUBES: Self illuminating tritium gas tubes glow with no need to be charged by an external light source.
- SEARCH & RESCUE: Designed for Search And Rescue missions at sea, water resistant to 300 meters (1000 feet) underwater.
- AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT: 26 Jewel Swiss made Sellita SW200 self winding mechanical movement. Submersibility: 30ATM
- SWISS MADE: Marathon watches are proudly made in La Chaux de Fonds, Switzerland since 1939.
CASIO Men's watches PROTREK Triple Sensor Ver.3 equipped with the world six stations Solar radio PRW-6100FC-1JF